B.U. Icemen Smash Harvard in Beanpot Semis

By Elizabeth P. Eggert

Angered by the recent ECAC ruling disqualifying Terrier Dick Decloe, Boston University's hockey team exploded with six goals in the last two periods to down Harvard, 8-3, before 12,000 fans in Boston Garden during last night's semi-final round of the Beanpot Tournament.

The senior line of Ray Cournoyea, Dave Wisener and Steve Solloss led B.U. to victory collecting five goals, while defenseman Vic Stanfield earned four assists.

B.U. took the lead at 2:26 of the opening period when sophomore Paul O'Neil intercepted a pass inside Harvard's blue line and beat goalie Joe Bertagna with a high shot on the short side.

Breakaway Failure

The Terriers collected their second goal at 12:23, seconds after Harvard's Jim Thomas failed to score on a breakaway. Buddy Powers tipped in the rebound after his linemate Jim Lowell had taken a shot from the left corner, and B.U. held a two-goal advantage at the end of the first period.

The Crimson fell five goals behind B.U. in the first ten minutes of the second period. Captain Wisener notched two goals, and O'Neil scored on a power play while Harvard's Doug Elliott was serving a tripping penalty.

The Crimson earned its first goal of the night at 11:54, when Bob Goodenow tallied unassisted to make the score 5-1. Seven minutes later Crimson wing Bill Corkery deflected in a shot from the point by Goodenow, and Harvard trailed, 5-2, at the close of second stanza, having outshot B.U., 12-6.

B.U.'s Cournoyea scored on a rebound 21 seconds into the final period and then earned a second goal at 10:00 with a low shot from the left side, making the score 7-2.

Crimson sophomore Leigh Hogan tipped a shot past Ed Walsh at 14:18, but four minutes later Wisener scored the hat trick to make the final tally 8-3.

Walsh made 31 saves while Bertagna stopped 20 shots.

In the other semi-final round of the tournament, freshman Mike Powers scored the winning goal in overtime for Boston College as the Eagles defeated Northeastern, 9-8. Powers collected five goals to tie a Beanpot record set by Harvard's Bill Cleary in 1955.

B.C. will meet B.U. in the final round of the tournament next Monday.