Bok Continues The Search

DEANS:

By Daniel Swanson

Although John T. Dunlop can still be seen lurking around University Hall on week-ends, the search for his permanent replacement as dean of the Faculty is continuing at full speed.

President Bok, who will make the appointment, said last week he is currently interviewing 50 people to solicit their opinions. The interviews, and the 100 telephone conversations Bok has estimated he has also conducted, are intended to elicit advice regarding the types of qualities the new dean will need as well as particular nominations.

Bok said a pattern of about ten names is emerging in the interviews, although he declined to name names.

The permanent dean will have to exercise a certain degree of independence, Bok said. "I want someone who thinks for himself," he explained.

Bok said he will continue his interviewing and engage in "a continuous narrowing down process." He said he hopes to have the new dean picked by the end of March, although the process may take somewhat longer.

Bok said in his interviews he has not detected attempts by Faculty or Administration members to form blocs to push favorite sons. "There are no organized groups and no attempts to mass behind particular candidates," he said.

He said he was grateful that no such jockeying for position had occurred and that he had met with cooperation thus far from the people he has contacted.