NAAO Names Steve Gladstone National Rowing Team Coach

Stephen C. Gladstone, former Harvard lightweight crew coach, has been named to coach the U.S. national team in the European rowing championships to be held in Moscow this summer.

Gladstone, who succeeds Harvard heavyweight crew coach Harry Parker as national team coach, will lead the U.S. team in the first major world sporting event held in Moscow.

Perfect Record

Presently coach at the University of California at Berkeley, Gladstone finished four years as lightweight coach at Harvard last spring with a perfect 16-0 varsity record. Capturing the Jope Cup, symbolic of Eastern lightweight supremacy, four consecutive times, his teams consistently had little trouble in sailing by their opposition.

Chosen for his post by the National Association of American Oarsmen (NAAO), Gladstone served in a similar capacity as assistant Olympic crew coach under Harry Parker in 1972. "Steve is a very good coach," Parker said yesterday. "He has a good grasp of the situation and really knows how to make a competitive boat go."

Harvard has traditionally had a large representation on the national rowing team. Over three-fourths of the men on the silver medallist U.S. Olympic team last summer were Harvard students or alumni. "At least in the recent years, we have had a lot of Harvard men on the team and I would hope we would have as many this year," Parker said.

The U.S. contingent will consist of two eight-man boats, two four-man boats, and two spare men, according to information sent to all NAAO schools. The team will be chosen in early July in Hanover, N.H., the site of this year's training camp. It will leave immediately for Europe after the conclusion of training camp.