Male Chauvinists Discuss 'Libbers' At Dinner in Union

By Nicholas Lemann

Women in men's clothing, men in women's clothing, students wearing swastika armbands and curiosity seekers all went to the Union's private dining room last night to attend the first male chauvinist pigs' dinner in Harvard history.

Thomas A. Gill '76, the chief organizer and master of ceremonies for the dinner, was the frequent target of verbal abuse and flying chunks of food at the chaotic affair.

Gill delivered a lengthy, often-interrupted speech on the virtues of male chauvinism, and gave an award for "the best Radcliffe joke." However, he said he was disappointed "with the way the dinner turned out." "I wanted this to be a humorous occasion," he said.

While Gill was explaining, midway through his speech, that chauvinists should greet each other on the street "with a Charles Atlas muscle-flexing salute," two freshman women dressed in coats and ties and smoking cigars crashed the dinner.

A few minutes later, during Gill's discussion of how to handle "a libber who challenges you to a wrestling match," several members of the audience interrupted him with cries of "eat it raw."

Gill said that "anyone who doesn't like it here is welcome to leave," and started talking about "perils for chauvinists." However, he was drowned out by loud laughter and banging on tables by the audience.

Gill tried to resume his speech, but was again interrupted by the entrance of several men wearing dresses and makeup and escorting women in coats and ties. A member of the audience stood up behind Gill and held a banner emblazoned with a swastika over his head.

"I've been insulted," Gill said. "And you're ruining my suit."