Stickmen to Face Four Teams In Tough Mid-Atlantic Jaunt

By Philip Weiss

Despite an encouraging performance against a veteran star-studded New England Lacrosse Club, the Crimson ten fares the storm next week in a southerly jaunt which will pit it against two of the best squads in the country.

Wednesday the NELC eked out a 6-5 victory over Harvard in the first scrimmage of the season. The New Englanders, riding the superlative play of their goalie, not improbably a Johns Hopkins graduate, held off the onslaughts of captain John Hagerty, who scored a hat trick. All Harvard points came from the attack, with sophomore Jim Quinn and creaseman Steve Milliken also tallying.

After a round robin scrimmage this Saturday, a 25-man contingent will head to New Jersey for a Tuesday engagement with Rutgers, a team coach Bruce Munro predicts will finish among the top four squads in the nation. If such predictions are correct, the Scarlet Knights will have little trouble with Harvard along the way.

Navy

The toughest test of the five-day campaign is a tilt with Navy in Annapolis. "Navy was in the top four last year, and I would expect it to be higher this season," Munro said yesterday.

The Middies, who traditionally rely on agile and brawny football transplants to supplement their lack of finesse, will probably overpower the Crimson handily.

On April 5, the stickmen will journey to Lancaster, Pennsylvania to meet Franklin & Marshall. The Diplomats captured the championship in their own division last year, but this contest will be the closest match-up in the first three scrimmages.

The Crimson rounds out its sojourn against Adelphi on Long Island, on April 7.

The stickers will carry four midfield units south. Garth Ballantyne, Frank Gerald, Andy Anderson, Bob Frisbie, and Tom Johnson will help man the first two sets.

Charlie Kittredge, Carter McDowell, and John Taliaferro will start at defense, and Brain Everist will mind the nets.

The round robin on Saturday will pit Harvard with the Boston Lacrosse Club, Wesleyan, and Tufts, all on the Business School Field.

"We'll rip all of them to shreds. We're tops in this area. It's only down around Providence that we start getting shaky," Hagerty said yesterday.