Blacks and Whites Enroll in Colleges In Same Per Cent

The percentage of black and other minority group high school graduates who went on to college in 1972 about equaled the percentage of white graduates, according to a study by the U.S. Department of Labor.

A preliminary report, issued last week, indicated that this was the result of a decrease in white males attending college in 1972.

The study revealed that 49.4 per cent of whites and 47.6 per cent of blacks and other minorities who graduated from high school in June 1972 were in college by the following October. It called the difference between the two figures "statistically insignificant."

'Decreased Incentive'

In 1971, 54.1 per cent of white and 47.1 per cent of minority graduates enrolled in college. The study attributed the decline in white college enrollees to a "decreased incentive to avoid the draft."

The study also showed that of the entire civilian, non-institutionalized population between 16 and 25, 48.1 per cent of whites were in college compared to 42.6 per cent of minority group members. The study explained this finding by noting that as of October 1972, 19 per cent of all blacks and minority group students leave high school before graduating while only 13 per cent of whites do so.