McCord's Attorney Sees Revelations By Howard Hunt

By Mark C. Frazier

New breaks in the Watergate case may come from E. Howard Hunt, one of the currently silent conspirators, a lawyer for James W. McCord has predicted.

In an interview with The Crimson late Friday, the lawyer, Bernard Fensterwald '42, said that Hunt, a White House security consultant who helped plan the bugging, might soon make major disclosures.

"I seriously doubt McCord will have much more to say," Fensterwald said. "But I think others may reveal quite a bit."

Asked who the "others" would be, Fensterwald replied "Hunt, for instance." He did not say when the disclosures could be expected or what subjects they might involve.

McCord's decision to implicate high Nixon officials, including former Attorney General John N. Mitchell and White House counsel John W. Dean III, was a result of his feeling that "there was a miscarriage of justice," Fensterwald said.

"The decision came after long deliberation, part of it in jail," Fensterwald said. "You can quote me on that."

As attorney for James Earl Ray, convicted assasin of Dr. Martin Luther King, Fensterwald said he had been recommended for the Watergate case because of his past work with Senate investigating committees.

Fensterwald said that there was "absolutely no basis" to reports that McCord's original lawyers were unhappy with his arrival on the grounds that he was trying to "politicize" McCord.