Lacrossemen Drop Finale to Yale, 6-5

By Philip Weiss

The Crimson lacrosse team capped its '73 campaign rather sloppily Saturday, as even a second-half rally failed to catch a hard-hitting bunch from Yale, in the 6-5 Eli triumph.

Until late in the third quarter, Harvard failed to control the ball at midfield against a big, free-swinging Bulldog crew.

With Harvard trailing 4-1 with three and a half minutes left in the third period, captain John Hagerty scored four times within 13 minutes to tie it at 5-5.

Following the faceoff, however, with five and a half minutes remaining, Yale attackman Bruce Smith fed Kin Yellot on the left side of the crease for the deciding tally.

The Crimson was lucky to get out of the first quarter with its pants on, only trailing, 1-0. Bulldog attackman Steve Sherrill, who took nine shots on the game, was sitting on the crease the whole quarter, and scored at 4:31 on an assist from attackman Pete Tarr.

With minutes gone in the second trame, Hagerty hit Rick Carey on the right side of the crease. Carey pumped it into the left upper side of the net to tie things up at 1-1.

Yale countered with three consecutive goals. First, Smith flipped a garbage goal in from the crease at 10:16 in the second quarter.

Three and a half ivy minutes later, Yellot scored on an assist from Smith, and ten and a half minutes into the third quarter, Smith scored unassisted.

A minute later, Harvard got its second goal, when middy Garth Ballantyne fed Hagerty near the restraining line. Haggerty bounced an unscreened shot into the left side of the net.

Hagerty scored again with 21 seconds gone in the fourth quarter, working past defenseman Larry Wexler from the right side.

Two minutes later, attackman Jim Quinn, from behind the net, fed to Hagerty, who took three steps from the restraining line and fired it into the left side of the net.

But at 5:53 in the fourth quarter, Yale middy Harry Hall scored to make it 5-4.

Hagerty again went to work, connecting on a busted clear to make it 5-5.

In ground balls, shots, and clears, the Crimson (3-10) led the Elis, but Yale out-hit Harvard throughout. The Bulldogs' favorite defensive move was an over-the-head hook with the stick, which is illegal in lacrosse. However, the officials only began to call penalties in the second half; three of the Crimson's five points came on power plays.