Four More Years: Six Months Later

Senate hearings, especially those on nationwide television, may be glamorous, but they are also droning and tiring. These Congressional spectacles are not without their light moments, however, as the senators try to entertain while they pursue the truth.

The Watergate hearing is no different. Like the Army-McCarthy hearings of the fifties, the recent inquiry has revealed a certain humanness about the legislators who make up Congress.

The panel (above), led by Senator Sam Ervin (D-N.C.) and (second from left) Howard Baker (D-Tenn.) (far left), has proceeded cautiously throughout the hearings. Ervin has displayed both puzzlement (upper left) and pleasure (left) at the testimony. Sometimes, the testimony has intrigued Ervin and bored Baker (bottom center).

The testimony of Hugh Sloan, the treasurer of the Committee to Re-Elect the President, had both these elements. Sloan's efforts (taking the oath, below right) was rewarded when Nixon took another oath--the Presidential oath of office--on Inauguration Day last January (below left.) Sloan, like most of Nixon's aides, looked pensive (bottom right) throughout the hearings. He was probably wondering where he, and Nixon, went wrong.