Athletic Department Will Offer $1 Tickets

By Steven Luxenberg

While the Crimson eleven toils on the gridiron, the Athletic Department will be toiling behind the ticket office bars trying to fill the stadium.

The boys at 60 Boylston St. have come up with a few cut-rate twists this fall which may put more fans in the stands for the first three games of the season.

The Crimson plays five games at home this season. Three of the five--UMass, B.U., and Columbia--will be free for all undergraduates, while the Princeton and Dartmouth games will cost coupon-carrying undergrads $3.

The opening games with UMass and B.U. perennially draw small, nonchalant crowds, and to draw more people to the stadium this year, Harvard will offer non-undergraduates bargain prices.

For one devalued dollar bill, graduate students can watch the first three games from sections 1 and 2 on the visitor's side of the field. Other Boston-area college students can also purchase a $1 visitor's side ticket for the first three games.

The UMass game has been dubbed "Cambridge Day," and any Cambridge resident will be admitted to endzone seats for $1. The following Saturday's contest against B.U. will be "Family Day," with $3 admission fee for the head of the family and 50 cents for the rest of the clan.

"We're working on the assumption that any seat we don't sell is money down the drain," John L. Powers '70, assistant in the sports information office, said last week.

Harvard will have no problem filling the stadium when Dartmouth and Princeton invade Cambridge for this year's other two home games. Those two games are termed "non-comp" games, and no complimentary or cutrate tickets are distributed.

Regular admission costs $7 per seat. Undergrads who buy one ticket with a coupon for $3, have the option of purchasing an adjacent seat for $7.

Powers said the Athletic Department will publicize "Cambridge Day" through Cambridge newspapers, and the other offers through Boston and suburban papers.

Soldiers Field seating capacity is approximately 6000 lower than last year because temporary bleachers behind the team benches have been removed. The horseshoe now seats 32,600.

If the endzone bleachers are added for the Dartmouth game, seating capacity will swell to 34,600.