Crimson Five Meet Yale In Saturday Home Game

By Jefferson M. Flanders

What ever happened to Harvard's home court advantage? After only one win in five games played on Holyoke Street, the Crimson five will be hoping for an edge when they face Yale in a home game Saturday at 8 p.m.

The Yale cagers understand home court advantages, however. Saturday night's clash in the IAB will mark their ninth game in a row on the road, nine games on other team's home courts.

The Bulldogs are 4-8 overall, 2-2 in the Ivy League, and their last game found them in Providence, Rhode Island on the wrong end of a 102-70 score. The loss to Brown was the fifth in the Elis' extended road trip.

Harvard won, 75-62, over Northeastern Wednesday night in the consolation of the Beanpot Tournament. The win was on the road, naturally, and highlighted Harvard's IAB blues. Northeastern clipped Harvard by a point over the vacation in Cambridge, but when the two teams met in Boston College's Roberts Center the Huskies were no match for the Crimson.

The win pulled Harvard to a 4-10 overall record and found Coach Tom Sanders adding sophomore forward Bill Carey and junior guard Steve Selinger to the starting team in place of Arnie Needleman and Mike Griffin.

Carey is an expected starter along with regulars Tony Jenkins, Lou Silver and Ken Wolfe. The other guard spot is up for grabs with Griffin, Selinger and Needleman all in the running.

The visitors from New Haven rely on 6 ft. 4 in. Mike Baskauskas for most of their scoring and rebounding. Yale's senior captain averages 16.8 point a game and pulls down 8.3 rebounds a game. Baskauskas will be joined at forward by Rollin Chippey, a 6 ft. 6 in. sophomore making his first varsity start.

Jenkins, Silver, Carey & Company will have to contend with 24-year-old Jim Cartmell, a four-year Army veteran who stands 6ft. 7 in. tall. Tim Kearns, a tall 6 ft. 4 in. guard, and Robin Michel, a sophomore, will start in the backcourt.

Whether the Crimson can shake off the home court jinx remains to be seen. But a team that can match Penn basket for basket until the last second and can rout Brown, Holy Cross and Northeastern has the potential to turn the IAB into a snakepit for opponents.