New Coach Scalise Tries to Revitalize Crimson Lacrosse

In an effort to once again make lvy League contenders of Harvard's lacrosse team, new head coach Bob Scalise has instituted an organized fall lacrosse program.

Scalise, who is taking over the coaching reins from Bruce Munro, is inheriting a team which posted a 3-6 record last spring. A former player and assistant lacrosse coach at Brown, he knows what winning lacrosse teams are all about.

Fall Previews

The program that he has organized this fall consists of 11 practice sessions of 90 minutes each, and an intramural schedule for both freshmen and varsity-level players.

Pre-season workout contrasts sharply with past programs, where laymen would practice informally and at their convenience in the fall.

"The basic concept behind the fall lacrosse program is to get the team together so that I can see what we have," Scalise said yesterday. "I'll then be able to prepare accordingly for the spring." Scalise added he felt it is important that players get to know one another, both on and off the field.

The idea of having a fall lacrosse program is hardly an innovative one. While it is a novelty at Harvard, organized fall lacrosse has come to be accepted as commonplace at many schools.

Scalise said he is pleased with the enthusiasm of the players, many of whom practice on their own in addition to the organized sessions and the intramural games.

In terms of actual performance, Scalise singled out co-captain Jim Quinn, attackman Kevin McCall, midfielders Bruce Bruckman and Bob Frisbee, and defensemen A1 Senior and Mike Belmont as having been particularly impressive thus far.

On Sunday, the lacrosse team will travel to Adelphi College for an exhibition game which will conclude the fall program. While a game in October versus Adelphi bears little resemblance to a game in May versus Brown or Cornell, it might just provide an indication of things to come.