Crimson Matmen Sink Mass Maritime, 26-14; Lose to Clarion and URI in Weekend Slate

By Francis T. Crimmins jr.

It was a long time coming, but the Harvard wrestlers registered their first victory of the season Friday, sinking the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 26-14.

The Crimson matmen didn't fare as well against the highly-touted Clarion State and University of Rhode Island squads in Saturday's triangular meet, but Crimson mentor Johnny Lee said "the team was heartened" by their progress in the hectic weekend action.

All-Ivy 167-pounder Bruce Johnson combined with teammates Jim Straffmyer at 177 and heavyweight Kip Smith to pace the Crimson to its first victory. All three grapplers registered pins while 126-pound Milt Yasunaga added a decision to ice the match.

On Saturday afternoon, the Rhode Island Rams, New England's premier wrestling power, handed the Crimson a 12-24 defeat. Decisions by Yasunaga, Johnson, Straffmyer and 150-pound Mike Dee accounted for the Crimson tally.

Later that day, the Crimson grapplers turned in a fine performance, despite losing to Clarion, 40-3. The Golden Eagles boast three national champions and are currently the number one college division team in the nation.

"Bruce Johnson turned in his finest performance at Harvard for our three points," Lee said yesterday, "and freshman Bill Bixby at 150 was outstanding in defeat against national champion Dan Rohn."

"We held our own against Clarion--things are looking up," he said.