Med School to Use New Cancer Center To Train Students

By Philip Drysdale

The Harvard Medical School will have a new teaching facility when the Charles A. Dana Cancer Hospital and Research Laboratory opens this spring.

The Dana Hospital, to be built on Brookline Ave. near the Med School, will be part of the Sidney Farber Cancer Center, which includes the Redstone Laboratories and the Jimmy Fund Building. The Jimmy Fund is one of the major fund-raising organizations for the Farber center.

The new facility will eventually contain 160 beds as well as an outpatient clinic, Dr. Edward Smith, assistant Professor of Radiology, said yesterday.

The Dana Hospital will become "one of the Harvard Medical School teaching hospitals," Smith said, "with students and faculty members involved in treatment and research." Smith will be in charge of diagnostic radiology at the new facility.

D.C. Farber, a spokesman for the Jimmy Fund, said yesterday the hospital will open in stages. "The outpatient facilities will open in the late spring, while the inpatient and research facilities will open sometime this summer," he said.

Farber estimated that phase one of the building will cost about $20 million. Phase two--the completion of the six-story tower--will cost an additional $5 to $6 million.

He said the cancer facility will "primarily be a teaching institute." The ratio of research and instruction to treatment will be about 3 to 2, Farber said