Harvard Thinclads Topple Ivy Rivals

New Stars Emerge

By James Cramer

Some usually unheralded performers stole the show from the headliners as Harvard outdistanced Princeton and Yale in a triangular meet at the Tiger's Jadwin Gym, Saturday.

The new starts--Dan Jiggetts in the weight throw, Kevin McCafferty in the shot put, Leon Sharpe in the long jump, and Jeff Campbell and Mike Horton in the running events--boosted Harvard's point total to 73.5, 14 more points than Princeton, and 58.5 more points than the Bulldogs.

Jiggetts tossed his best ever, 52 ft. plus in the weight throw, insuring coach Edgar Stowell of a 1-2-3 finish in the event, Jay Hughes led all challengers by letting loose a 60 ft. 3 in. meteor.

McCafferty won his shot put competition with a 51 ft. plus shot toss, his first victory of the year.

Leon Sharpe challenged Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace's supremacy on the long jump pits with his best ever--a 22 ft. plus leap. But Vanderpool-Wallace's 24 ft. 4in, was enough to derail Sharpe's efforts. Neither Princeton nor Yale could place a man between them, and Harvard took first and second.

Cage Record

Vanderpool-Wallace continued his jumping domination in a special competition held Monday. He long jumped 24 ft. 5.5 in, giving him a personal high mark and a Tufts University cage record. His record-shattering jump appeared on Channel 5's "Eye on Sport" Contest.

Perhaps the biggest surprise was Mike Horton's first place in the 60 yard dash. "The dash has been a problem all year and it is good to see that we now have some firepower in that event," Stowell said yesterday. "Horton ran a 9.8 last spring so he's got the speed."

Freshmen Jeff Campbell, a cross country phenom who has had a somewhat obscure winter season, showed some signs of his autumn speed, when he placed second in the mile.

Best Time

Bill Okerman came up with his best time in the 1000, a 2:12.7 to take third in the event for the Crimson.

Okerman teamed up with Jim Springate, Wayne Curtis, and Campbell to run a strong two-mile relay, but their efforts weren't enough to overcome fine running by both their Ivy opponents.

Rick Rojas, bothered by the flu this past week, turned in a fourth in the mile and a third in the two-mile for Harvard.

Other first-place finishes included Blayne Heckel in the pole vault, Mel Embree in the high jump, Nick Leone in the 600, and Randy Buckley, Joel Peters, Steve Brown, and Leone in the mile relay.

Stowell said after the encouraging victory that he believed that Coach Bob Hunt's running squad has been improving each week.

The thinclads go against all the Ivies plus Army and Navy next week in the Heptagonals at Cornell. Even though the Crimson appeared a little sluggish Saturday after their Greater Boston Championships win last week, Stowell said he believes that the Crimson will give Navy and Penn, last year's winner and runner up, a race for the Hep crown.