Dan Rather Criticizes Nixon At Winthrop House Discusion

By Mary R. Rodeheffer

When it comes to "foul and odorous things," the Nixon administration is in a class by itself, Dan Rather, White House correspondent for CBS evening news, told an informal gathering of approximately 100 in Winthrop House yesterday afternoon.

"There have been a lot of foul and odorous things in previous administrations, but just look at Nixon's record," he told the group. Citing former Vice President Spiro T. Agnew's felony conviction and the indictment of 14 White House associates, Rather added, "the Harding administration is not even comparable."

Rather declined to say whether he thought Nixon should be impeached, but did say that if he were "betting the rent money," he would wager that the president stays.

"Most Congressmen are afraid of impeachment," Rather said. He estimated that only 70 or so members of the House would vote for such a motion today.

Rather described the political mood of Washington as one of confusion and fear. "Every Republican is scared to death that if Watergate doesn't get him, the economy will," he said. "And the Democrats are afraid that the atmosphere will become charged with the idea that anyone in office is to blame for what is going on."

Rather also spoke at length on White House treatment of the press. "Previous administrations have played all kinds of games with reporters," he said. "What's new about the Nixon administration is the well thought out, calculated campaign to get the country to believe that journalists are a breed apart."

To some extent Nixon has succeeded in this endeavor, Rather said. The president has raised doubts where none existed before in the public mind about reporters, and he has been effective in squelching the willingness of local TV newsrooms to defy the official position, Rather explained.

Speaking of his own position, Rather said that Nixon's campaign had not made "one iota of difference" in his relations with CBS executives. "In my opinion, network television journalism is the freest area in all of journalism," he added.

Rather also said there is a need for more frequent presidential press conferences. He urged that news conferences of some sort be held at least once every 10 to 12 days.