Ex-Crimson Linemates Hynes and McManama Face Each Other in National Hockey League

It seemed like "Harvard night" at Boston Garden last night. If you were able to get tickets for the Boston Bruins-Pittsburgh Penguins hockey contest, you saw former Crimson teammates Dave Hynes and Bob McManama face off against each other as members of NHL teams.

If you opted to stay home and watch the game on television, you had the added bonus of seeking Hynes and his former mentor and present Harvard hockey coach Bill Cleary, being interviewed by Johnny Pierson between periods.

A year ago tomorrow all three former Crimson starts were in the same building. Only that time Cleary was coaching Hynes and McManama on the "Local Line" in the opening round of the Beanpot Tournament against Boston University. This time Cleary was merely an observer, as Hynes now plays for the Boston Bruins, and McManama for the Penguins.

McManama's Professional career started when he was an unexpected surprise in the Penguin's training camp and started the season with the NHL club. He has since played a stint with the Penguin farm team, the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League before being recalled to the parent club several weeks ago.

While with the Bears, McManama played against Hynes, who started the season with the Bruin farm team, the Boston Braves. Hynes scored 25 goals and 25 assists in only half a season with the Braves. Billy Corkery, the third member of Harvard's "Local Line," played with his old Harvard linemate on the Braves until Hynes moved up to the Bruins. The Penguin contest was only the third for Hynes in a Boston uniform, having been called up for the Atlanta Flames game and the contest with the Toronto Maple Leafs, both on the road.

For both McManama and Hynes, the surroundings were familar. They have played in the Garden as high school students and college students. Last night they were professionals. As Cleary said yesterday, "They've come a long way from Watson Rink."