Sorry, You Can't Eat Here

DINING

By Sydney P. Freedberg

W.C. Burriss Young '55, assistant dean of freshmen, could not find a vacant seat in the Freshman Union at lunchtime one day last week. Not surprisingly, he was not pleased. And his displeasure spurred a previously reluctant Freshman Council to action.

The council reacted Monday by passing a resolution barring residents of Lowell, Quincy and Adams Houses from eating lunches in the Union, provided that F. Skiddy von Stade '38, dean of freshmen, approves the plan.

Von Stade will meet with the Freshman Council Monday to discuss the issue. But yesterday, von Stade, Council President Renee Landers '77 and others began to voice the opinion that the council's resolution would not solve the problem of an overcrowded Union. Residents of Lowell, Quincy and Adams, they said, usually do not take their meals in the freshman dining hall because their Houses are near the Yard.

Alternatives such as a quota on the number of River House upperclassmen and Quad residents who eat in the Union, or the scheduling of special hours for interhouse, are under investigation. Meanwhile, the squeeze continues.