Wrestlers Suffer Defeats at Easterns

Blakinger Advances to Semifinals

The Harvard wrestling team met with mixed success yesterday at the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Championships held at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. One wrestler advanced to today's semifinals, two fell in quarterfinal bouts, and seven others were defeated in their first matches.

Captain Dan Blakinger received the only bye of the tournament to move into the quarterfinals, where he defeated Eric Waters of Pennsylvania, 4-3. In their three previous encounters, Waters had defeated Blakinger each time. If Blakinger defeats second seed Sal Lanudo of Columbia in today's semifinal match he will be the first Harvard wrestler to reach the finals since 1959. Lanuto defeated Blakinger, 8-6, in an earlier contest this year but Blakinger leads in overall triumphs, 3-4.

Freshman Milton Yasunga, wrestling at 126 Ibs., was pinned by Schoonover of Army in 2:11. Yasunga had been unable to compete in Harvard's last three meets because of an elbow injury. Wrestling in his first varsity match, junior Kelly Jensen, at 134 Ibs., fell to Horn of Yale in 1:24.

Sophomore George Baker, returning to his original weight class of 142 lbs., recovered his winning ways. Baker, seeded seventh, had compiled an 8-1 record at 142 but after dropping to 134 lbs. after exams had only been able to muster a 2-4 slate.

In his first match Baker pinned Coccari of Colgate in 6:37 after building a 3-2 lead. However, he was outpointed, 9-6, by undefeated Selbridge of Pittsburgh in last night's quarterfinal match.

At 150 lbs. Mike Dee, a junior, continued his season's trend of wrestling last-minute thrillers. He lost, 9-6, to Bennett of Yale on a takedown in the final 20 seconds. Junior John Adler, wrestling at 158 lbs., succumbed to Dixon of Lehigh in 4:30.

Junior Bruce Johnson, at 167 lbs., fell behind early in his match with Sefter of Pennsylvania and was unable to come back, losing 17-10. Johnson had defeated Sefter during the regular season.

At 177 lbs., sophomore Jim Strathmeyer, wrestling with a slightly injured knee, outpointed Jazenski of Pittsburgh, 7-0. Junior Bart VanDissel, wrestling third-seeded Neil Brendel of Yale, lost by a fall at 6:43.

At heavyweight, freshman Scott Meadow, who was a foot shorter and 80 pounds lighter than his Princeton opponent, was pinned in 1:43. It was Meadow's first varsity match.

Baker, Strathmeyer and Vandissel still have slim chances of placing in the top four, as their opponents advanced to the semifinals.