DeMars Signs With New York Stars

Stoeckel 'Close to Terms'

The New York Stars of the World Football League announced Monday the signing of ex-Harvard football captain Ted DeMars.

Tom Beer, director of Player Personnel for the Stars, said yesterday that the team is "close to terms" in their bid to sign Jim Stoeckel, this year's quarterback and most valuable player.

"I believe that Ted has a heck of a possibility in the WFL," Beer said. "He's a hard worker and he's a 100-per-center. He shows a lot of potential as a football player."

No Prediction

Beer could not predict whether De Mars would become a captain for the Stars. However, he said of De Mars, "I'm sure his leadership will come out on the field."

De Mars, who graduated in June 1973, was the third highest scorer and fourth leading rusher in Crimson history.

He played football last fall for the Northeast Colonials in the Atlantic Coast Football League.

De Mars said yesterday that his year in the Atlantic Coast Football League was good practice for the WFL. "Last year was a good year," he said. "I feel the transition will be a lot easier now."

"I had it in the back of my mind," De Mars said of playing in the World Football League. "That's why I played ball last year."

"I've been working for the phone company for a while and I haven't been too satisfied," DeMars added. He called the Stars offer "a blessing."

Beer said he was anxious to complete negotiations with Stoeckel.

"We're looking to sign Jim Stoeckel," Beer said. "We've been talking to him and we're close to terms."

Stoeckel, who ranks as Harvard's all time pass leader, had an exceptional senior year in which he set career records in completions (166), passing yardage (2097) and percentage (.527).

Boston Identity

Stoeckel also plays varsity baseball. He was unavailable last night for comment.

The New York Stars, enfranchised two months ago as the Boston Bulls, are maintaining a Boston identity. In their announcement to sign DeMars, they named New England Colonials general manager Bob Keating as vice president.