Tennis Enthusiasts Criticize Paucity, Condition of Courts

By Mark W. Lomax

Harvard tennis facilities for the recreational use of faculty and students are inadequate and in poor condition, two users of the courts charged yesterday.

Barbara C. Rosenkrantz, associate professor of History of Science, said there were too few tennis courts to accommodate the growing number of players on campus. Rosenkrantz said she arrived at the Business School courts Sunday at 7:45 a.m. and found them all occupied.

Baaron B. Pittenger Jr., associate director of the Department of Athletics, said yesterday that the University does not plan to construct a large number of tennis courts in the near future, because of a lack of available land.

Even if the Corporation approves a proposed $35 million athletic facility renovation and construction project at its May 6 meeting, Pittenger said he expects the plans will include only three or four new tennis courts.

Martha V. Verbrugge, a second-year graduate student and frequent court user, said the Soldiers Field courts are in "horrible condition," with holes in the courts and inadequate nets.

Pittenger said the Athletic Department realizes the courts are in very poor condition but he said there are no funds allocated for renovation in the 1974-75 department budget.

The department has recently renovated the Radcliffe courts.

Rosenkrantz, who works at the Medical School, said the athletic facilities there are worse than those in Cambridge.

Pittenger said his department is not responsible for the upkeep of the Med School facilities because the Athletic Department is part of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, not the entire University.

Students in other faculties of the University have complained that they must pay activity fees for use of athletic facilities, Pittenger said.

"Students think that because they go to Harvard, they should have access to all its facilities," Pittenger said.