Nixon's Communications Aide May Come to Politics Institute

By Richard F. Horan

Clay T. Whitehead, director of the White House Office of Telecommunications Policy, may come to Harvard next year as a Fellow at the Institute of Politics.

Jonathan Moore, director of the Institute, said yesterday that the Institute has contacted Whitehead about the possibility of an appointment to one of the fellowships.

Not Definite

Moore added, however, that no definite commitment has been made by either the institute or Whitehead. He said that no fellowship appointments have been officially confirmed, and that the process for considering candidates has not been completed.

While some candidates for fellowships have been unofficially selected subject to subsequent confirmation, Whitehead is not one of these, Moore said.

Whitehead said yesterday nothing is yet definite, and that he could not set a timetable for his departure from his present post, which he said he has wanted to leave for over a year.

Too Long With Dick

Whitehead referred to his four years as head of the Office of Telecommunications Policy as "just too long." He said that he has considered writing and opportunities in business as well as the fellowship possibility.

Whitehead's plan for the financing of public television was rejected by the President last month.

Fellows at the institute engage in a diverse range of activities. In the past, many have offered noncredit seminars under institute auspices, participated in faculty study groups, audited courses and undertaken writing projects.