Philadelphia Eagles Sign Alumnus To Back Up Dempsey as Place Kicker

By Joy Horowitz

The Philadelphia Eagles signed Richie Szaro '71 as a free agent this week after he was cut from the Philadelphia Bell of the World Football League on Monday. Szaro will back up veteran place kicker Tom Dempsey, a spokesman for the Eagles said yesterday.

Szaro, who held Harvard's place kicking record for most points scored in a season until Bruce Tetirick '74 bettered his record during the '73 season, graced the Harvard gridiron in 1968-1970 with his soccer-style kicking.

Upon graduation from Harvard, he was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the sixth round of the National Football League college draft.

In three years at Harvard, Szaro accummulated 97 points. He is also tied with Charlie Brickley for kicking the second longest field goal in Harvard history--47 yards.

As a freshman, Szaro played halfback for Harvard and broke the freshman scoring record with seven touchdowns. In the summer before his sophomore year, Szaro suffered a foot injury and was unable to play varsity ball.

Known for his all-around athletic ability. Szaro also lettered in track and field at Harvard and set a New England record with a javelin throw of 246 feet, 7 inches, which remains the standing record.