Skiers Open Year in Can-Am Race

Frigid Weather Marks Lidlifter

By Jonathan H. Alter

Battling "bloody cold" weather as well as our neighbors to the north, a shorthanded Harvard ski team began its season on the upbeat in the Canadian-American IAS race at Sunday River, Maine, last week.

The final results of the three-day, 17-school mens' race have yet to be released, but womens' coach Pete Tolual said McGill College apparently emerged victorious in the womens' competition.

Eric Jewett finished a strong fourth in the mens' slalom, while Lennie Wilson and captain Nicole Bourgois ran sixth and seventh respectively in the womens' giant slalom.

Just a Freshman

Alan Hale, a freshman skiing for the first time in intercollegiate competition, came in a surprising sixth in the downhill, with Bob Kelly following in 13th place.

The snow was fast and hardpacked. Top speeds in the downhill approached 60 miles per hour.

Varsity mens' coach Dave Hubbard was "confident that we will win the mens' division this year." He cited excellent coaching for the women's squad.

The Crimson was hampered in the race by the winter vacation. Only three of the top six mens' varsity skiers raced and the other three spots had to be filled by J.V. skiers. Additionally, only three out of five varsity members of the womens' team made it to Maine.

"I was skiing in Aspen," mens' varsity captain Dick Raines noted.