Yale's Carmen Cozza Resigns

Yale's Carmen Cozza, whose Bulldog squad copped a share of the Ivy League football crown on Saturday, announced his resignation as head coach on Monday.

Cozza compiled a 77-30-1 slate in his 12-year tenure with the Elis, in addition to winning five Ivy championships. He resigned his coaching position as a result of an agreement reached last June with the Yale Corporation when it named him athletic director.

Although Cozza ended his career on top he was reluctant to leave the post. At Yale's annual football dinner Monday night Cozza stated "I've never wanted to leave. I've loved the administration and the young men I've been associated with."

Captain-elect Bob Rizzo and outgoing captain Vic Stafferi voiced the players' hope for Cozza to retain his position as coach, and asked Yale president Kingman Brewster to have the Yale Corporation reconsider its decision. Brewster noted that a change in policy is unlikely.

Elsewhere in the Ivies, Cornell University announced Monday that it had fired its head football coach, George Seifert. Seifert had posted a dismal 3-15 record in two unsuccessful campaigns with the Big Red.