Peabody, Marcus Are First Marshals

Will Lead Commencement

By Douglas W. Oman

Felicia Marcus and Robert L. Peabody were chosen first marshals of the Radcliffe and Harvard Classes of 1977 in last week's class elections.

The other three marshals elected for Radcliffe are Laura J. Garwin, Carla Hall and Renee Landers. The three Harvard marshals are James P. Boland, Jr., Marty F. Healy and Kevin Kallaugher.

Class marshall is an honorary position retained for life. The first marshal is the titular head of the class and together with the other marshals will lead the class in Commencement ceremonies.

The eight marshals, together with one representative from each of the 13 Houses, will serve on the Senior Class Committee. The committee will oversee approximately $19,000 to be spent on Commencement week activities, Victor A. Koivumaki III '68, Associated Harvard Alumni Associate for Classes and Reunions said yesterday.

The committee will decide what Commencement Day speakers to have, whether to have a Senior Day clambake, and plan class activities during the spring.

No Idea

Most marshals said yesterday they had only a vague idea what the job entailed, saying that they would find out all the details this week from the Associated Harvard Alumni. Few expressed specific plans they would like to carry out, but Kallaugher said he wants to get "someone who's funny" to speak on Commencement day.

Most marshals also said they ran because they saw it as a chance to maintain communication with their classmates after graduation. "It's kind of frightening knowing that you won't be seeing a lot of your friends," Boland said.

The marshals largely attributed their success to knowing many people, citing activities such as Hasty Pudding, football, and even courses as ways they met the voters.