J. V. Icemen Edge Hungry Freshman Squad; Shorthanded Score by Spaulding Wins It, 4-3

By Sandy Cardin

Andy Spaulding's shorthanded goal at 15:42 of the third period gave the Crimson junior varsity a 4-3 win over Harvard's freshman hockey team at Watson Rink yesterday. And for those of you who figured this game to be just another scrimmage, you were wrong. Very wrong.

In the first period, the junior varsity jumped out to a 3-0 lead, completely dominating play. John Moot scored the game's first goal at 6:38 on assists from Spaulding and Mike Stewart. Tim McBride notched goal number two at 9:33 when he took a Charlie Flint pass in front of the net and fired the puck home.

Less than a minute later, Terry Neff cruised in all alone on freshman goalie Brian Murphy, found the lower left corner, and upped the margin to 3-0.

The second period was just the opposite of the first. The freshmen skaters came out smokin' and quickly converted a Penn Hulburd penalty into a power-play goal by Rob Kelly, assisted by linemates Charlie Maneikis and Paul Mangano.

At 8:25 Maneikis tallied the Yardlings second score to pull them within one goal of coach Kevin Hampe's junior varsity.

Four minutes later lightning struck twice as the freshmen converted yet another power play into a goal. With Ken Farrish in the box for tripping, Paul Mangano made the score 3-3 on passes from Kelly and Maneikis.

The third period's only score was Spaulding's game-winner.

Not expected to fare very well, the freshmen team's play caught the complacent junior varsity off guard. In spite of dressing only 16 players, the freshmen very nearly pulled of the upset.

Much of the credit belongs to Brian Petrovek's heir-apparent, goalie Brian Murphy. Peppered by 76 shots in this bicentennial year contest, Murphy was exceptional, recording 42 saves while missing only four of the shots on net.

The first line of Kelly, Maneikis, and Mangano also played very well. Each recorded a goal as well as carrying most of the load for a freshmen team that generally plays only two lines. Credit, too, must go to coach Bob Carr for molding the small group into a cohesive unit.

But despite their valiant effort, the freshmen still lost. The junior varsity was flat for two stanzas but the first period lead and superior depth gave it the win. Thursday's game against Budweiser will surely require three strong periods.