CHUL Rejects Breakfast Plan; Favors 4-year Quad Housing

By Vivian Cheng and Steven Schorr

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life yesterday defeated the proposed reduction in the number of dining halls serving full breakfasts and indicated in a series of straw votes a desire to retain three-year houses at the Quad.

In its meeting of the semester, the CHUL voted 20-2-7 to "repudiate" the breakfast proposal and ask the Department of Food Services to provide full information on the "actual amount of savings from closing the Freshman Union on weekends."

Prior to the vote, petitions expressing student and worker opposition to the proposed cutbacks were presented to the CHUL.

The CHUL decided to delay voting on all but one specific recommendation about the housing issue until its next meeting, and decided instead to take a series of straw votes.

Retain 4-year Houses

In one such straw vote, CHUL members voted unanimously in favor of a proposal by Barbara Rosenkrantz, master of Currier House, to keep members of all four classes in the three Quadrangle houses.

In another straw vote, the CHUL rejected a motion to house all freshmen in the Yard by a vote of 7 to 13, with 5 abstentions.

The CHUL also decided unanimously to rescind its previous endorsement of the Grabar proposal, after the CHUL executive committee reported that the plan was "unworkable."

The proposal, adopted by CHUL on January 22, would have created 12 four-year houses, leaving each House to decide whether to assign freshman or upperclassmen to the Yard dormitories under each House's jurisdiction.

March I Deadline

Francis M. Pipkin, associate dean of the Faculty and chairman of the CHUL, announced yesterday at the start of the meeting that CHUL must submit its recommendations on the housing question to Dean Rosovsky by March 1 if it plans to have any impact this year.

Pipkin said yesterday that "if CHUL does not make substantive recommendations it will have shown itself incapable of coming to grips with the housing issue."

Lee Bain '77, CHUL representative from Kirkland House, proposed the voting delay and said that newly elected student members "have not had time to assimilate all the data on the housing issue."