Goodenough Suggests Students Push for Courses on Women

By Kenichi Takeshita

Students must pressure professors if they hope to increase the number of courses in the University which include material related to women's studies, Ursula W. Goodenough, chairman of the Faculty Committee on Women, told a meeting at Agassiz Theater last night.

Goodenough said she called the meeting, attended by 20 women, to spur more student interest in women-oriented courses, because "the people likely to influence the professors are the undergraduates."

In response to Goodenough's suggestions, seven students at the meeting formed a committee to urge professors to teach more courses on women and to incorporate material on women into existing courses.

Alberta Arthurs, dean of undergraduate affairs, said at the meeting that "the administration is doing nothing to promote courses on women." The need for such courses "requires more attention and focus" on the part of the administration, she added.

Goodenough said she sent information about the meeting to all female members of the Faculty, but only one professor, Ruth Hubbard, professor of Biology, actually attended.

"It's indicative of how much concern there is among the faculty," Goodenough said.

Goodenough said there will have to be more courses on women before a concentration in women's studies can be considered by the administration.

A leaflet put out by the Radcliffe Union of Students lists two courses "directly related to women" and six which are "expected to include information on women or offer study options on women" already being given.