Philippe Bennett--Zorro of the Ivies

Has Olympic Hopes

By Daniel Gil

A lone figure bounds around the Quad decked out in a ski hat, sweater, sweat pants and moccasins. Although it is 10 a.m., jogger is still half-asleep, since his "trainer," an exception to his belief that "Cliffies, for the most part, need help," has just woken him from pleasant dreams.

Who is this mysterious tar-pounder? He was captain of his high school soccer and lacrosse teams, played semi-pro soccer and was on the ski patrol at a New York state ski area. He can grab a football and casually fling it 50 yards--in a perfect spiral.

While still in high school, this runner placed fourth, fifth and sixth in the United States junior nationals for his major sport, and in 1972 he was ranked second in the nation in the 20-and-under category. For the last two years, he has been all-American and all-Ivy.

Who is he?

Philippe Bennett.

Who?

You know, the star fencer.

Swinging from Chandeliers

Fencer? You mean he spends his time going up and down stairs, sword-fighting, swinging from chandeliers, slicing Z's in the chests of innocent bystanders, and reciting Shakespeare? Why is he a fencer?

Fencing "is a very individual sport," according to Bennett. "It's one in which I can release my emotions easily. It's beneficial in the sense that the more emotional you are, probably, the better fencer you'll be, as long as you're capable of controlling the emotions and not letting them overcome the judgments you're supposed to be making on the strip."

Bennett also paraphrases Bertrand Russell's saying that "fencing is probably one of the most intellectual sports."

Bennett's parents put a foil in his hand when he was eight, and the rest is ancient history. He trained under late Olympic coach Michelle Alaux. When Bennett reached college, there was no doubt in his mind that he would continue fencing, although he was ready to sacrifice his other sporting interests to the Biochem grindstone.

"If I had gone to any other school but Harvard I probably would have played soccer," Bennett says. "But you can't turn this place down."

Olympic Prospect

So, in between studying, Philippe Bennett applied his emotions, skill and intelligence to fencing, and he has not done badly. He has not only become one of the top college fencers in the country and a captain of the Crimson fencing squad, but also an Olympic prospect.

After his freshman year, Bennett placed sixth at the NCAA Eastern foil championships, the first time a Harvard swordsman had placed in approximately ten years. Last year, he finished second, and he is looking for a victory this time around.

The two top spots at the NCAA tournament in March also appeal to Bennett and if he can attain these two goals, "I'll probably train more seriously and try out for the Olympic trials" to be held in June. The Martini-Rossi international tourney in April will also be a major test for Bennett.

"My shot at the '76 Olympics is not great," Bennett says, "though you never know. I could have a very hot day at the trials. That would mean I've got to be burning." For that to happen, Bennett feels that he will have to stay psyched for the whole tournament and be in superb condition. Even if he has "timing, a good sense of distance and a good hand," he will have to rely primarily on his quickness."

Bennett says that lack of experience will be his major problem. This is "principally because for the past four years I've been in Boston and not fencing at a top level of competition. If you want to become an Olympic fencer you don't go to Harvard."

"What Harvard does, and you see it in the teams, is to create a bunch of individuals who are very well-rounded, yet not particularly good in one specific field. For life this is probably the ideal: trying to balance both your academics and athletics," Bennett philosophizes.

Don't Mature

Bennett realizes that studies do come first, but that one must always make time for other things that provide enjoyment. "People who are solely interested in their studies don't mature as quickly, they don't really get what the Harvard experience is all about," he says. Besides concentrating on a field of study, one should also branch out academically, "take the risk of maybe messing up a few courses and learning something."

Architecture

What about his sports interests and other hobbies such as reading a lot of architecture books? "If I do them now or I do them later, I'll get enjoyment whenever i do them," he says.

And do not count Philippe Bennett, fencing star among many other things, out of the Olympics. The Olympic coach has invited him to train in New York for the 1980 Olympics, and Bennett says, "I'll just keep on shooting at the Olympics until either I really mess up or else I make it."