Harrises Can Only Wait

By Marilyn L. Booth

LaDonna Harris says she believes a First Lady can take an active, policy-oriented position in the White House and that she plans to continue her "activist role" in women's issues and native Americans' rights if her husband, Democratic presidential hopeful Fred Harris, wins the presidency.

"I'm sure I would do it because I've always played that role, from State Senate days to the U.S. Senate. I am in the decision-making council both for the campaign and in discussing the issues," Harris said in an interview with The Crimson Sunday.

A Comanche Indian who grew up in Oklahoma speaking Comanche as her first language, Harris served on the board of directors of the Office of Economic Opportunity (OEO)--the government agency which dealt with the economic and political rights of minorities--for six years.

Harris is president of Americans for Indian Opportunity, an organization which underwrites self-help programs.

LaDonna Harris has already received one "endorsement" on her own. Rep. Morris Udall (D -Ariz.), one of her husband's opponents in the Democratic nomination race, told Fred Harris in New Hampshire that he would like to see LaDonna as vice president.

Fred Harris wound up his Massachusetts primary campaign yesterday with an attack on "tea prices" and "food monopolies" at the site of the Boston Tea Party, a rally in Post Office Square, and a series of subway-stop appearances.

Reiterating his challenges to Democratic opponents Morris Udall and Birch Bayh on their "lack of support" for tax cuts and a moratorium on nuclear plants, Harris concentrated on re-emphasizing points he has made during this week's swing through Massachusetts rather than on saying anything new.

The Boston rally, which attracted about 500 listeners despite occasional sprinkles of rain, was a last-ditch effort to disseminate leaflets, pass the hat, and sing "This Land is Your Land"--Harris's "theme song."

Harris followed the MBTA map yesterday afternoon as he appeared in stations at Park Street, Kenmore Square, Forest Hills and Government Center to shake hands and chat with supporters and subway riders.

Frank Greer, national media coordinator for the Harris campaign, told The Crimson Sunday that local media were doing a "very poor job covering Harris. It has been much better nationwide."