New Black Student Magazine Stresses a Variety of Talents

By Joanne L. Kenen

The first issue of Diaspora, a black student literary magazine, will be published later this month if all goes well, Mark Roberts '77, Diaspora editor, said yesterday.

"We need a wider range of publications open to members of the community here, particularly the black community," Roberts said, adding Diaspora should provide another "avenue for creative expression."

"I want to emphasize that we're not competing with anyone else. We're just trying to add somethin new," he said.

Roberts said the April issue will include prose, poetry, photography and artwork, but he said future issues may focus on specific themes such as black women.

The name Diaspora is frequently associated with Jewish history and culture. However, Byron Heath '77, assistant editor of Diaspora said yesterday the magazine's title refers to "the dispersion of blacks from the homeland. And in our magazine, we want to reflect variety. There's no one stereotype of blacks here."

Arts grant

The Office of the Arts granted Roberts $400 to found Diaspora. Patrons pledged an additional $500.

Roberts said that financial restrictions will limit distribution of the magazine, but he said Diaspora will certainly reach all the patrons, the House and college libraries and as many students as possible.

Members of the Diaspora staff said they may seek outside advertizing to finance the magazine.