Women's Squash Blanks Tufts In Season's Opening Matches

By Marc E. Raven

The Radcliffe varsity squash team won its first match of the season easily yesterday, blitzing an outclassed Tufts squad, 7-0.

Sophomore Sarah Mleczko, the topranked player on the team, had the toughest match of the afternoon, coming from behind twice to pull out a 7-15, 15-8, 8-15, 15-10, 15-12 victory.

Five of the remaining six players swept their matches in three consecutive games, with the sixth winning by a 3-1 margin.

Moses Speaks

"I was very impressed with the way they played," Paul Moses, the Radcliffe coach, said last night.

Moses said the team adjusted well to conditions "very unlike heavenly" on the courts at Tufts.

The squad, which is currently made up entirely of freshmen and sophomores, is "very promising," Moses said, adding that the team would become even stronger when senior captain Julia Moore returns from leave in February.

The team will play most of its easier matches in December, but its schedule will become considerably tougher in February, Moses cautioned.

On the Up and Up

Caroline Cunningham, one of the squad's three freshmen, sounded an optimistic note after yesterday's triumph.

"I think we're going to be the team to beat in a couple of years," Cunningham said.

Cunningham added that her first college match was "very exciting."

Radcliffe will play its first home match Tuesday against Wellesley and will travel to Providence to do battle with Brown the following Saturday.