Pennypacker Will Help Pay Seabrook Fine

By William B. Trautman

A group of freshmen in Pennypacker Hall began raising money this week to help cover the fine the Exeter, N.H. District Court will probably impose on Thomas Arnold '80, one of many Harvard undergraduates arrested for criminal trespassing at the site of the Seabrook, N.H. nuclear power plant on May 1.

Turner Graybill, a proctor in Pennypacker said yesterday the "typical sentence" for being convicted of criminal trespass in this case has been a fine of $100 and 15 days in jail, and he did not expect Arnold's sentence to be any different.

"There are 100 people in Pennypacker, and if we all chip in a dollar or so, it might lighten his burden," Graybill said.

Arnold chose not to post bail, so the ten days he has already spent in prison will probably be credited to his final sentence, Graybill said.

Arnold and two other Harvard students, Jeffrey Ferris '77 and Geoffrey Wisner '80 are the only undergraduates who have refused to post the $100 bail.

Of the 1414 demonstrators New Hampshire state police arrested at the Seabrook site, nearly half were released after posting bail.