Dudley Wins Softball; Crews Battle

BASEBALL

By Daniel Gil

Dark horse Dudley House pulled out a 13-12 win over Eliot House in softball yesterday afternoon to win the intramural championship.

Eliot put the winning runs on base in the bottom half of the seventh inning in the title game, but Dudley pitcher John Costa held on for the victory.

Keystone combination Jimmy Richards and Rudy Pizzano sparkled for the Dudley squad, which finished with an 8-1 record.

Upsets were the rule of the day in yesterday's House crew finals. Quincy House came away with two firsts in the women's A race and the men's B class, and Eliot House snatched the Men's A boat title from perennial powerhouse Kirkland.

Both men's races went right down to the finish. Kirkland led the A race from the start, but Eliot would not let them open more than a seven seat lead. With less than 150 meters to go, the stronger Eliot crew picked up its stroke and blew past Kirkland for a five seat victory.

Eliot's time was a wind-aided 4:49 for the 1500 meters. Quincy finished third followed by Lowell and Mather.

Four crews were in contention in the last 100 meters of the men's B battle. All four shells swept across the finish within four seconds of each other, with Quincy edging Lowell by no more than a seat.

Eliot passed Kirkland in the last sprint again to take third. A fast-finishing Leverett crew finished fifth.

Quincy House won the women's A race convincingly, covering the 1000 meters in 4:27. Winthrop, Kirkland and Mather followed Quincy to the finish.

Kirkland regained some of its pride by winning the women's B and men's C events. Winthrop, Quincy, Leverett, and Currier respectively placed and showed in those races.

Official starters for yesterday's regatta were Harvard varsity crew coaches Harry Parker and John Higginson.

*****

Harvard's baseball and tennis teams close out their schedule today in Hanover, N.H. The batsmen face Dartmouth in a doubleheader, while the racquetmen take on the Big Green in a six-man Eastern League match.