Manfred Jonas Selected As Warren Fellow

By Andrew T. Karron

Manfred Jonas, chairman of the history department at Union College, will come to Harvard this fall as a research fellow of the Charles Warren Center for Studies in American History.

Jonas, whose specialty is American diplomatic history, will spend the year working on a study of U.S.-German relations from the German unification in the 1870s to the end of the Allied occupation in 1952.

Jonas has previously published several books and articles on various topics in American foreign policy, including "Isolationism in America. 1935-41," and a study of the secret wartime correspondence of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and President Franklin D. Roosevelt '04.

Reached at his home in Schenectady, N.Y., Jonas said yesterday that although he has not yet finalized plans for his stay in Cambridge, he does not expect to teach, but rather to devote his energies to finishing his book.

The fellowship awarded Jonas is one of a number of Warren Center programs publicized in the Center's annual report.