Campbell Sparks Sox Win, 5-1

Red Sox relief ace Bill Campbell turned the heat on against his former teammates yesterday, pitching four scoreless innings of relief to lead Boston to a 5-1 victory at Minnesota.

The win was Campbell's ninth save of the year, and it left the Sox one game out of first behind the Yankees and the Orioles.

Boston broke up a pitchers' duel in the top of the sixth, scoring a pair of runs with a walk and three singles. George Scott smacked his 1700th career hit to drive in Carly Yastrzemski with the first run, and clutch-hitting Butch Hobson drove in Carlton Fisk with a single just minutes later.

The red-hot Twins mounted a comeback in the bottom half of the inning, loading the bases with none out off starter Reggie Cleveland. At that point, though, manager Don Zimmer made the call for the fireman.

Campbell allowed one run on a Rod Carew sacrifice fly, but squelched the rally after that on a fielder's choice and a strikeout.

Campbell held the Twins scoreless from there on, while his teammates gradually padded the lead.

Hobson added another RBI single in the eight to drive in "Boomer" Scott with Boston's third run. Captain Carl Yastrzemski secured the win in the ninth by blasting a two-run homer, his eighth of the year.

Cleveland, the most consistent Sox starter, picked up the win, raising his record to 4-3. Minnesota reliever Tom Burgmeier picked up the decision on the losing side.

Burgmeier had come into replace 23-year-old starter Paul Redfern, who left the game after four innings with a strained upper left thigh muscle he suffered the injury in the first inning.

Redfern, who went 8 and 1/3 innings against Baltimore Tuesday for his second win, held the Sox to one hit and four walks in his four innings, although the Sox hit the ball hard while he was on the mound.

A Jacket Day crowd of 37, 756, the biggest turnout at Minnesota in nearly four years, watched the home team go down to defeat.

In other developments, the Red Sox announced that the team might place rightfielder Dwight Evans on the disabled list today.

A team spokesman said yesterday that club physician Thomas Tierney will probably examine Evans today, and the club will then decide a decision whether or not to put him on the disabled list.

Evans pulled a right leg muscle Wednesday night while legging out a triple against the Texas Rangers. A doctor in Minnesota examined him Friday and advised him to return home for treatment and rest.