Hatch and King to Hold Debate Monday Night at ARCO Forum

Gubernatorial candidates Francis W. Hatch Jr. '46 and Edward J. King have agreed to debate at the Kennedy School of Government on Monday night, October 23.

Touching

Republican candidate Hatch will meet Democratic nominee King at 8 p.m. in the Arco Public Forum of the Kennedy School. The debate is the first in a series between Massachusetts political opponents.

Barry Kaplovitz, issues coordinator for the King campaign, said yesterday, "Monday night's debate will show who is in touch and who is out of touch with the mainstream and majority of the voters in Massachusetts."

Hatch is "insensitive and isolated," Kaplovitz said. He also accused Hatch of calling King's supporters "hate groups."

The Melting Pot Theory

Stephen Cooper, press secretary for Hatch, said that one of King's own campaign aides first made this charge. He referred to an article in the September 20 issue of the Boston Globe, in which an aide said of King's campaign: "We created a hate campaign. We put all the hate groups into one big pot and let it boil."

The panel will consist of three members of the local media who will question the candidates on various campaign issues.