A Chang of Pace

An interesting variety of nineteenth and twentieth century works is being offered this week in concerts in Cambridge and Boston.
By Richard Kreindler

An interesting variety of nineteenth and twentieth century works is being offered this week in concerts in Cambridge and Boston. The invariable tendency to stress the classical and baroque workhorses gives way to an emphasis on Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, Ravel and Beethoven. Concerts at Harvard this week also include Schumann, Debussy and plenty of Brahms.

The trio of Yo-Yo Ma, Richard Kogan and Lynn Chang returns to Harvard for the thousandth time this Saturday, but their past performances do indeed suggest that they are well worth hearing. Pianist Kogan, violinist Chang and cellist Ma perform an all-Beethoven concert with the Sud Gewandhaus Orchestra, conducted by Valerie Taylor, in a Phillips Brooks House Benefit Concert. The program includes Beethoven's Trio in B flat opus 11, his Triple Concerto, and his Violin Concerto in D Major. Chang and Kogan played the Franck Violin and Piano Sonata in an excellent and moving concert last year. They are skilled performers who team well with cellist Ma, and the Beethoven Violin Concerto should be particularly noteworthy. The Saturday concert is at Sanders Theater at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $3 or $2 for students.

Boston's Symphony Hall offers an outstanding opportunity for good music next Wednesday. The BSO is presenting open rehearsals for the twentieth consecutive year, and the second of the season is February 22 at 7:30. Pianist Alexis Weissenberg performs Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 with Seiji Ozawa conducting; also on the program are Ravel's Valses nobles et sentimentales and his La Valse. This rehearsal promises to be exciting and enjoyable, and it should not be missed. Weissenberg is one of the premier technicians and artists of the day and Rachmaninoff's Third Concerto one of the most challenging works of all time. The combination of the two will be memorable. Ozawa has already shown his deftness with this work in performances with Andre Watts and others. Immediately before the concert, at 6:45 p.m., the BSO Director of Publications will lead an informal discussion about the Rachmaninoff and Ravel pieces. Admission is $3.50.

There are several other promising concerts at Harvard this week. Pianist Kevin McGinty plays works of Bach, Beethoven, Schumann and Scriabin this Saturday at 8 p.m. The concert takes place at Holmes Living Room, North House. Also at North House, on Sunday at 8 p.m., Rip Keller plays piano pieces by Brahms, Debussy, Zappu and Keller. Both concerts are free.

Adams House Music Society presents a piano and cello recital tonight with Roy Kogan and Greg Colburn playing works of Beethoven and Brahms. The concert is at 8:30 p.m. in Adams Lower Common Room. Also, the Thursday Noon Recital Series at the Busch-Reisinger Museum continues today. Larry Phillips performs at the organ, Andrew Waldo on the recorder and Carol Lewis on the viola da gamba. The concert is free and open to the public. Call 495-2317 for more details of the weekly series.