Wristwrestling Prelims Begin For Puopolo Scholarship Fund

The first two nights of competition in the second annual Kirkland House wristwrestling championships were slow due to a large number of forfeits in the early rounds, Tom "Beef" DiBenedetto '78, one of the organizers of the tournament, said last night.

"A lot of people had schedule conflicts and just couldn't show up for their matches," DiBenedetto said. "The competition will be much more intense in the semis and the finals next week," he added.

About 350 students signed up to wrestle in four women's and five men's weight classes. Because of the increased number of entries, this year's competition is spread out over five days.

"Last year the matches were all held in two days," DiBenedetto said, "The competition was more concentrated and more people showed up."

Proceeds from the entry fees and tee shirt sales at the tournament will go to the Andrew Puopolo Scholarship Fund, Puopolo, a Harvard football player, was fatally stabbed in Boston on November 15, 1976.

"We're very pleased," DiBenedetto said. "I think a lot of people signed up just for the cause, and that's why they didn't show."

Asked to comment on the evening's activities, John Cosgrove '79, the other tournament organizer, said, "I'm at a loss for words--I let my wrists do the talking."