Sliding Into Home

Today is the day that Government department generals are due. I've been working on mine for the past few days
By Marc M. Sadowsky

Today is the day that Government department generals are due. I've been working on mine for the past few days and I can't talk to anyone about them, so how can you expect me to discuss them with you? The only thing I'll tell you is that there's one question on the correlation between which league wins the World Series and which party wins the presidency. That's all I'll say.

Wait. The alternate question is discuss the impact of Sadaharu Oh's homerun record on dollar-yen exchange rates. At one point in recent history the number of yen needed to buy one dollar was equivalent to Oh's annual homerun output.

And speaking of Oh, Oh what a beautiful morning Saturday and Sunday will be. On Saturday morning the women's lightweight crew will be rowing up the Charles with a contingent from Williams. The story of the Williams crew is very interesting. There is no body of water near Williams on which the crew can practice so they have to row on the streets of Williamstown. The shell is fully equipped with directional signals and must obey all the conventional traffic rules.

Anyway, this well-trained crew will be on the Charles against the Harvard women's crew. At 9:30 a.m. the two J.V. teams will meet each other and at 10 the varsity squads will go at it, whatever "it" is.

Sunday morning we're talking about men's lightweightcrew. It's going to be an all-Ivy race with the cretins of Yale and Princeton making appearances. The winner of the race will take home the prestigious Goldthwaite Cup and be able to hold it over their heads and run around with it. After the victory run the winning team is usually taken away for observation.

The races start at 8:50 when the frosh boats take to the water, continues at 9:10 when the J.V. boats take off, and climaxes at the fine hour of 9:30 with the varsity battle.

But we've gotten too far ahead of ourselves. Let's go back to Saturday and talk about the women's track and field team. At 1 p.m. at Harvard Stadium, the tracksters, fieldsters and hamsters will be taking on a contingent from Fitchburg State, a state college located in Fitchburg.

Looking ahead to early next week, when I'm going to have a lot of time, we see a lot of stuff happening around the campus. For instance, the baseball team, which is away this weekend (although it isn't too hard to get to the Northeaster field in Brookline Saturday at 1 p.m.), will be playing Brandeis Tuesday at 3 p.m.

Tuesday is also going to be a big tennis day, with both the men's and women's teams playing. The men will be playing their biggest of the year. Who can that be against? It could be against UCLA, but it's not--it's against Princeton. And they're good in tennis, so it should be a good match, and besides it will begin at 2 p.m., which is a good time.

Meanwhile, starting an hour later, the women's tennis team will be playing the Dartmouth netwomen. That should be another good match so why don't you catch it?

Before talking about professional baseball, i.e. the Red Sox, I have to mention Saturday. Saturday is both my sister's birthday and Willie Mays's birthday. Willie isn't playing anymore but Eve is pitching AA ball in South Carolina.

The Bosox are playing tonight, tomorrow and so on. Tonight at 7:30 the Minnesota Twins will be in town. Tomorrow night at the same time the Chicago White Sox will be in Fenway and will be staying on through the weekend. The Saturday and Sunday games will begin at 2 p.m.

The "home stand," as such an engagement is appellated, will continue through Tuesday. On both Monday and Tuesday the Sox will take on the Kansas City Royals, a power in the western division of the American League.

Well, I guess that's about all I have to say. If you have any questions call me collect. I won't accept, but you can try anyway.

It's about time to get back to the old generals, although I can't talk about them. So don't press me. To quote from the directions on the generals, "Sign your paper. The signature will be taken as an assertion that the paper is entirely your own work." Well, this whole paper is not entirely my own work. A lot of people worked very long hours to get this paper out and I'm not going to take the claim for the whole thing. You can stop me anytime...

See you later...

Be there. Aloha.