Government Says Rebels In Nicaragua Quashed

MANAGUA, Nic.--The Nicaraguan government claimed yesterday it has quelled a 12-day uprising against President Anatasio Somoza. The Red Cross has estimated that more than 1000 persons have been killed in the fighting.

Opposition sources located outside Nicaraguan borders said yesterday Sandinista National Liberation Front forces would fight again to end 41 years of rule by the Somoza family.

Carlos Tunnerman, a Nicaraguan lawyer in exile in Costa Rica, predicted the Somoza regime would fall before the end of September. Tunnerman reportedly is in line to become a government leader if the Somoza regime falls.

Government sources also reported that remaining Sandinistas in Esteli, a city of about 30,000 on the Pan-American highway north of Managua, had been quashed. The city was retaken by national guard forces Tuesday after heavy bombardment.

Juggling the Numbers

Nicaraguan Red Cross officials noted that their estimates of more than 1000 dead did not include reports from Esteli. They reported the death toll was high in Esteli and many more Nicaraguans were also wounded in that city.

In Washington yesterday, the United States expressed concern over reports of national guard troops committing atrocities against civilians and urged Somoza, who controls the national guard, to conduct an investigation.

Somoza has vowed not to step down from office until his six-year term ends in 1981.