Employee Blocks Distribution Of Political Leaflet in Union

By Andrew C. Karp

A Harvard employee yesterday prevented members of the Friends of Spartacus Youth League (FOSYL) from distributing leaflets in the Freshman Union protesting the outcome of a Greensboro, N.C. murder trial.

Seth Warren, an FOSYL member, placed pamphlets denouncing the acquittal of six Nazis and Ku Klux Klansmen charged with the killing of five Communists on each table of the Union, but Peter Maloney, a Union porter, removed the leaflets, taking some out of students' hands and throwing them away, and returning others to Warren. "He said what we have is garbage and was harassing me," Warren said.

Maloney said he removed the pamphlets because the FOSYL "didn't have permission from Dean Epps' office." Maloney refused further comment.

Epps said yesterday that the FOSYL "has the same permission as any other group does" to hand out leaflets on campus, but added that the Union can prescribe the time, place, and manner of the distribution.

Warren's leaflets were marked "App HR FOSYL 11/23/80."

Henry Moses, dean of freshmen, said yesterday anyone can place leaflets on the Union tables as long as they agree in advance to clean up afterwards.

Warren said he knew that prior permission was required to set up a table in the Union foyer, but said he was not aware that such an agreement was necessary to place leaflets on the Union dining tables.

Burris Young, associate dean of freshmen, said yesterday students must seek approval from Harvard Student Agencies (HSA), which runs the Union foyer for the FDO, to set up tables to distribute literature.

"HSA sends people who want to put leaflets in the dining hall over to see me for permission," Young said, adding that the porter was justified in removing the pamphlets, because the FOSYL had neglected this requirement.

"It's very strange that with threats of rape and racist comments going around here, they choose to pick us, because we want to fight these racist actions," Warren said, adding that Harvard's postering requirements are more stringent than those of any other campus he visits.