Smith Drafted

Yes, dreams sometimes do come true.

At least they do for men's soccer captain Mike Smith, who has become the first Harvard soccer player to be drafted by a professional team since 1971. The Denver Avalanche selected the senior two weeks ago in the third round of the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) draft.

Smith indicated yesterday that although he may be drafted by a North American Soccer League (NASL) team in December, he intends to join the newly founded Denver franchise after graduating in June. "I can't see myself leaving Harvard without pursuing my soccer career," he said, "and of course professional soccer is the highest plateau."

Playing both striker and midfielder, the senior has tallied seven goals for the booters this year. According to coach George Ford, the native of Leicester, England "he has many talented players around him, yet he is unquestionably the spark on this team."

Ford--who once played for the Detroit Cougars in the NASL--has been associated with the Denver organizers for almost five years. Recently, when the Avalanche became one of four expansion teams in the one-year-old MISL, he became a chief scout in New England.

Goalie Shep Messing '72, Harvard's last soccer player to be drafted, enjoyed a celebrated stint with the New York Cosmos in the NASL but is now playing in the Indoor League for the New York Arrows.