Patriots Conquer Bills, 24-2; Cavanaugh Tosses Two T.D.s

Matt Cavanaugh fired two touchdown passes, and Vagas Ferguson ran for 81 yards and one score as the New England Patriots kept their National Football League playoff hopes alive with a 24-2 victory over the Buffalo Bills yesterday.

The Bills, now 10-5, could have clinched the American Conference East crown and their first divisional title in 14 years if they had won.

The Patriots, now 9-6, can still keep the AFC East title if they beat New Orleans and Buffalo loses to San Francisco next Sunday.

The Patriots vaulted into a 14-0 halftime lead on a nine-yd. run by Ferguson and a five-yd. pass from Cavanaugh to tight end Russ Francis.

In the third quarter, Cavanaugh drilled a 13-yd. scoring strike to Andy Johnson.

The Bills got their only points late in the third period on a safety when Dwight Wheeler's snap flew over punter Mike Hubach's head, and Hubach recovered the ball in his own end zone.

The Bills went most of the way without quarterback Joe Ferguson, who sprained his left ankle when he was sacked by linebacker Mike Hawkins nine minutes into the game. Dan Manucci and David Human finished the game at quarterback.

New England set the tone for the game early, scoring on its first possession. Buffalo had started from its own two-yd. line after Curtis Brown fumbled the opening kickoff and a punt by Greg Carter gave New England the ball at the Buffalo 41.

Cavanaugh zipped a key first-down pass to Don Westbrook, covering 21 yards, to the 22, and three plays later, Ferguson bolted through a big hole up the middle to score.

Cavanaugh, starting his second straight game for the injured Steven Grogan, then marched the Patriots on a 15-play, 80-yd. touchdown drive capped by Francis's touchdown. The key play on that drive was a 25-yd. pass to Francis on fourth-and-eight from the Buffalo 30.