State House Stops New Prison Plans

By David Lawrence and Elizabeth H. Wiltshire

The chairman of the state legislature's House Ways and Means Committee yesterday stopped a Department of Corrections proposal to use part of the East Cambridge jail a classification center by refusing to sign a lease with Middlesex Country.

State corrections officials two weeks ago announced a plan to make the top four floors of the East Cambridge jail, which have stood unused for six years because they do not meet fire standards, into a 126-bed classification center. The jail now houses prisoners awaiting trial.

Mort

"I think the matter is dead," Mayor Francis H. Duehay '55, said last night.

State Rep. John Finnegan, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, refused to lease the county-owned building. Finnegan's signature was the last of three needed to confirm the $1.4 million appropriation for this year.

Finnegan withheld his signature because of a long-standing promise to State Rep. Michael Lombardi, who represents East Cambridge. "I have done all I can, and I assure you there will be no jail in East Cambridge," Lombardi said at the meeting.

But City Councilor Alfred E. Vellucci said last night the center may still be approved after elections this fall. He added that he will try to remove all funds for the East Cambridge jail from the state budget.

The unapproved appropriation would pay for a new sprinkler system for the jail, but the budget already includes operating funds and state employees, who now staff the site.

Wait a Minute

"This is something that happens in election years," Vellucci said. "Things get hot in East Cambridge--constituents and voters were involved," he added.

"This is part of several responses that the people of East Cambridge are getting for making themselves heard in their government," Vellucci said.

Corrections officials had hoped the classification center would streamline the prison system by avoiding sending prisoners to inappropriate institutions. Prisoners would spend between 30 and 45 days at the jail.

The plan's announcement elicited protests from East Cambridge residents who contended the state should have consulted them first.

Personal Interest

However, some observers said Vellucci's initial protest over the state plan was based on a personal interest in this fall's election. His son, Peter, is running for Lombardi's seat. Vellucci last week brought the issue before the House's Committee on Counties, of which Lombardi is vice chairman.

"Mr. Vellucci is planning to have his son run for state representative this year, and publicity thus becomes the name of the game, and since the only game in town at the present time appears to be the courthouse, here we go," County Commissioner S. Lester Ralph said in a letter to the council.

Independence

Vellucci disagreed with Ralph, adding that his son, who owns the Vellucci Insurance Agency, is working independently.

Finnegan pledged to support the wishes of East Cambridge residents yesterday afternoon. Duehay, Lombardi, City Manager James L. Sullivan and State Rep. Charles Flaherty, chairman of the House Committee on Counties, met with Finnegan yesterday at the State House to urge him not to approve the lease.

"We want to get it in writing," Duehay said. "We don't want to have to rely just on his word."

Objections

The officials listed improper cell construction, fire hazards and parking problems among their objections to the state proposal.

The council voted last week to subpoena the county commissioners, district attorney, sheriff and the state director of corrections to discuss the plans with the council at last night's meeting. That meeting and a hearing scheduled for tomorrow have been cancelled.