CES Summer Grants Cut As Funds Become Scarce

By Wendy L. Wall

The Center for European Studies (CES) will not offer summer travel grants to undergraduates working on their theses this year because of a shortage of funds, administrators of the program said yesterday.

Many students in selective concentrations have traditionally relied upon the grants, which are practically the only source of funds available to undergraduates for research in Europe.

"It's always easier to get money for specific research programs than general purpose student activities," Stanley H. Hoffman, professor of Government and chairman of the center, said yesterday.

"We were unsuccessful this year in keeping all the activities going."

The center, which has awarded $200,000 in CES grants over the past ten years, usually funds 12 to 15 students each year. Slightly more than half of these scholarships go to undergraduates.

In the past, money for the awards came from Ford and Volkswagen Foundation grants as well as a few smaller donations solicited from private individuals. This year the foundation money ran out, and the center was unable to replace it.

Elimination of the scholarships could affect students in the History and Literature and Social Studies Departments, where theses are required. Since these concentrations are overseen by committees, students majoring in them cannot apply for departmental awards to fund research in Europe.

Carl F. Krebs '81 said he had hoped to spend the summer in Germany studying modern architecture in the '20s and '30s and was disappointed with the elimination of grants. He added, however, that he still hopes to make it to Europe, although it may mean spending his own savings.

Another Social Studies major, Sue Pederson '81, also expressed regret that the grants were no longer available. However, Pederson also said that she intended to try to go to Europe anyway.

The Institute of Politics (IOP) and the Center for International Affairs (CIFA), also offer traveling scholarships. However these funds are restricted. IOP money generally goes only to government concentrators, while CIFA grants are used primarily to fund research in developing countries.

Members of CES found it difficult to explain why they were unable to get donations for the grants, but Hoffman said the reason could be partly economic. He added that the situation might also reflect a shift in corporate policies from an international to a domestic focus.

Peter M. Lange, professor of Government and a member of CES, said that if the money were found for the program this year, it "could still be geared up; at least we're hopeful that it could be."

Students who received grants in past years described the program as a "marvelous experience," and "the best educational experience I've had at Harvard."

"I think this cutback is a real shame," Timothy R. Lyman '80 said yesterday. "The chance to do original research is invaluable and contributes to the spirit of academic freedom."

Although elimination of the grants affects graduate students as well, the impact on them will not be as severe, Abby Collins, administrative director of the grant program, said yesterday