Weld Mice Population Booms; Students Request Fumigation

Seventy-four students in Weld Hall recently signed a petition asking the University to terminate mice which have appeared repeatedly in the dorm.

Dina L. Michels '83 and Beth A. Schwinn '83 started circulating the petition after Buildings and Grounds (B&G) poisoning efforts failed to eliminate the mice population completely. They added that they found the use of traps nauseating and partially unsuccessful.

If Necessary, Fumigate

The two roommates said they will present the petition to Henry C. Moses, dean of freshmen, Wednesday. The petition states that as tenants paying for board, and in accordance with the State Sanitary Code, students expect the University to take more effective action and, if necessary, to fumigate.

A B & G offical who asked to remain unidentified declined to say what actions B & G will take to combat Weld's mice problem.

The mice began appearing about two months ago, and although many students and proctor Enrique Hernandez Jr. '77 cite construction in Harvard Square and cold weather as possible causes, no one is sure why Weld's mice population has suddenly boomed.

"We almost cornered one last night and proceeded ripping our room apart for half an hour trying to find it," Jeff M. Lawrence '83 said yesterday. He added that he believes it escaped through a hole in the wall.

Evangeline Morphos, East Yard senior adviser, said yesterday she believes the situation will improve, and said, "My dog Boswell has been authorized by me to scout out the floor space free of charge to the University."