Golfers Defeat MIT and Northeastern

By Gregg F. Clifton

The Harvard golfers crushed their opponents from MIT and Northeastern with two sub-80 rounds yesterday afternoon at The Country Club in Brookline.

The linksmen completed their scorecards with a combined team score of 414, while the Engineers finished with a 445 total and the Huskies compiled a frustrating last-place finish of 456.

Harvard's Glenn Alexander took first-place honors with a brilliant two-over-par 74. "His putter was really going well and he battled the windy conditions all day," teammate George Arnold said after the match.

Honors

Senior John Thompson copped second-place honors for the Crimson by carding a splendid round of 79. Playing in the number five slot, junior Chip Raffi tallied 86, while senior teammates Jim Dales and Tom Edwards racked up scores of 88 and 89, respectively.

Freshman Mark Peterson brought up the rear for the linksters with a disappointing round of 93.

Frustrated

Alexander got off to a frustrating start early in the match by bogeying the first five holes. He came back with a twisting birdie on the par-four sixth when he tipped in a short putt.

Strokes of Luck

"I was very fortunate all afternoon that my shots landed fairly close to the hole and I only had to put in short putts," he said.

Alexander also birdied the par-five 11th with a combination of four pro-like shots. He nailed a long 280-yd. drive off the tee and followed that up with a 250-yd. three-wood to put him on the green. The linkster then two-putted for his fine birdie.

Excuses, Excuses

Thompson also shot a creditable round considering the poor playing conditions. Performing with a brand-new set of clubs, the senior played a respectable round until the 18th, when only a superb shot out of swampy ground rescued him from disaster.

Thompson's third stroke landed him in the evergreen marsh to the right of the green. The Quincy House athletic secretary then flicked an amazing shot with his putter, knocking the ball to within 20 ft. of the hole.

Jaws of Life

He rolled home the final shot of the match for a bogey five on the 18th, snatching respectability from the jaws of embarrassment.

The linksters now travel to Providence to oppose Brown University, Salem State and Boston College tomorrow afternoon. The squad's third match of the week will be a home encounter against the Rhode Island Rams on Thursday afternoon.