Netmen Defeat Yale, 5-4; Women Place 4th in Ivies

NCAA Berth?

By James S. Mcguire

The men's tennis team retained its unblemished Eastern league record yesterday by defeating Yale in New Haven, Conn., 5-4.

The score belied the Crimson's superiority because the netmen mounted a 5-2 lead before losing the last two, inconsequential matches.

Nothing New

The Crimson beat the Elis in the singles category with strong efforts from the top three netmen. Crimson ace Don Pompan coasted by John Steipel, 6-0, 6-1; Howard Sands rebounded from a two-match layoff to defeat Tom Simcik, 6-2, 6-4, in the second slot; and number three Warren Grossman had only slightly more trouble putting away Bill Brady, 6-4, 6-4.

Clincher

At number six, Alan Beren pulled out a crucial tie-breaker to defeat Keith Rudman, 6-4, 7-6 (5-4). With the tournament score at 4-2, Kirsch and Turner "played very good doubles and clinched the match easily in 45 minutes," captain Bob Horne said yesterday.

Best Yet to Come

The real challenges for the team will come in the next week and a half. After playing Brown tomorrow, the netmen will return to Yale for the New England Championships Saturday. Last year the team finished second to Yale by one point in this team tournament, and this year they hope to improve, Horne said.

Culminating the season's efforts, the Crimson will play nationally ranked Princeton May 7, for "all the marbles," Horne said. The Eastern Championship, a trip to the NCAAs and a national ranking all lie within the Crimson's grasp if it tops the Tigers, Horne added.